Robocopy Error 31 A device attached to the system is not functioning

I was migrating Windows file shares to NetApp CIFS shares using Robocopy. I was unable to copy owner information or NTFS Security (/COPY:DATSOU) without getting this Error:

ERROR 31 (0x0000001F) Copying NTFS Security to Destination Directory F:\PATH
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I thought it may be the zone information on may of these files. I used the Sysintenals Streams utility to remove that information. It did not help.

In the end, I was forced to copy without NTFS information (/COPY:DATU)

When I viewed the properties of any share, folder, or file, the length of time to enumerate and display the permissions was exceedingly slow. I tried disabling anti-virus, etc. In the end, I had to manually re-create the permissions after the initial data copy. File ownership information was lost.

UPDATE: I ran a CHKDSK /F and following a reboot this robocopy functioned fine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The following factors also affect the level of access for" user with excess permissions

Unknown server tag 'AdminControls:MigrationToolPromotionTip'. in Central Admin after installing SharePoint 2013 security update KB4482464