Offline Address Book error

My client had a mixed Exchange Org with Exchange 2007 and 2003 servers.  I retired the Exchange 2003 servers from their environment. A couple weeks later I was getting complaints that some users aren't finding new employees in the address book.  I instantly suspected--correctly--the Offline Address Book (OAB).

I ran "update" on the OAB in the Exchange Management Console.  I received an error:

--------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Exchange Error
--------------------------------------------------------
Action 'Update' could not be performed on object 'Default Offline Address List'.

Default Offline Address List
Failed
Error:
Failed to generate the content of the offline address book '\Default Offline Address List'. Two possible reasons for the failure are that the System Attendant Service is not running or you do not have permission to perform this operation. Error message : 'Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))'.

Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

The server hosting the OAB was one of the 2003 servers.  I selected "Move" and moved it to one of the 2007 servers.  I also changed the Distribution to Web and Public Folder by selecting the Enable Web Based distribution checkbox and clicking Add to select the IIS virtual directory.  



When I ran update, it produced no error.  I worked with users that were in Outlook Cached Exchange Mode to manually download a new copy of the address book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robocopy Error 31 A device attached to the system is not functioning

"The following factors also affect the level of access for" user with excess permissions

Unknown server tag 'AdminControls:MigrationToolPromotionTip'. in Central Admin after installing SharePoint 2013 security update KB4482464