Co-authoring an Office 2010 document
In a recent demonstration to new Office and SharePoint 2010 clients, I successfully demonstrated how two users can edit the same document at the same time. Here's how you do it with Word 2010:
- Have a SharePoint 2010 document library available.
- Create a Word 2010 document
- Select the file menu then Save and Send to publish to the SharePoint document Library
- Browse to the document library in SharePoint 2010
- From a second computer, open Word 2010
- Open Internet Explorer, then navigate to the document library
- Click the arrow next to the document name and select Edit in Microsoft Word
- If you get the Protected View warning banner, click the Enable Editing button
- You will see a dialog on the first computer that "username" is editing this document.
- Edit some text on each computer. Click the save button. Notice it has a double arrow on it.
- Each screen should see a dialog which states the Word has refreshed the document with changes made by another author.