Windows Update fails on Server 2008 R2

I have seen a common issue with Windows 2008 R2 and WSUS where the Windows Update client stops working with the error: Windows Update Client failed to detect with error 0x80070bc9 in the log.

During these times, I notice that Server Manager complains that it cannot be refreshed until the server is restarted. I cannot use Windows Update, add roles, or view the roles in Server Manager. The error I see in Server Manager is Error: cannot display data until computer is restarted.

I haven't tracked down the root cause, but if you restart three times it goes away. I have found that it never happens again on that server, but I may see it again on another Windows 2008 R2 server in the first few months of its service life.

If anyone has figured out the root cause, please post a comment. Until then, I will reboot servers in this state three consectutive times.

Comments

Greg Zook said…
This error seems to be related to an issue with WMI. Repairing WMI on a Windows 2008 R2 server is not hard. In a nutshell, here is how I do it: stop the WMI service, rename the repository folder (%windir%\System32\wbem\repository), restart the WMI service.
Talha said…
The error is not related to WMI, as its working just fine, U can check if its working, by going to Server Manager > Configuration > WMI Control, Right click and go to properties, if its connected then WMI is working fine.
I have given the server a restart several times, but this doesent resolve the problem either...
It has something to do with a pending restart on the server with some registry keys i think...... Anybody found a valid reason and solution to the problem, please share?
Greg Zook said…
Hello Talha: I have also seen this issue when the Windows Module Installer service is set to start automatically. It should normally be a stopped service set to manual. Verify that this isn't being set by a GPO. Let me know if you have further questions.
Talha said…
Hi Greg, thanks for the post, i have tried to put the service to manual, then a restart, even i have tried after disabling WMI service, but still....... the problem is there..... Actually its an Exchange 2010 SP1 server holding HT and CAS roles, and i need to add a feature to upgrade to SP2...... And when i cant access Server Manager, and i cant install the feature with powershell too.... I cant upgrade.
Also, I have deleted the registry key at HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/SessionManager/
This solved the pending restart problems on some of the other servers, but not this one!
Hmmmm.....

Popular posts from this blog

ADMT fails to migrate SID History

Exchange 2010 event errors 2601, 2604, 2501

Robocopy Error 31 A device attached to the system is not functioning