Want to retire your Exchange 2003 servers?
- Make certain Message Tracking is enabled on your Exchange Server
- After one week, login to the Exchange 2003 server(s).
- Run System Manger. See the illustration:
- Select the Message Tracking Center.
- Enter a server name of the Exchange 2003 server. You may include more than one server.
- Enter the last week as the date range.
- Click Find now.
- When you double-click the message, you should get a clue what host the message originated from in the Message ID field. If not, you can contact a friendly end user to ask about the message. It may require some detective work, but in my experience it is ALWAYS better to do this work in advance than trying to figure out what broke in a few weeks. For larger organizations this is very important.
When you have made certain your servers are no longer processing mail, you can just turn them off. There isn't any additional work to be done to remove the servers from your Exchange 2007 Organization.